Running Footwear Made Responsibly
When you want to hit the road without a penny but our very own ft, it’s sometimes tough to obtain the right running footwear. Can they be cushioned enough? What’s the heel-to-foot drop? Could they be likely to last me for 500 miles? And sustainably speaking, what are the running athletic shoes that do not include virgin plastic, polyester, or rubber?!
Whether you’re training, jogging, or sprinting, here are the most useful running footwear which are also responsibly made. These brands have discovered virgin plastic and polyester alternatives, rather using recycled materials, sustainable fibers, and responsibly sourced made of woll. ??
Wishing for everyday sustainable athletic shoes? There exists a guide for your, too!
- Materials FSC-certified eucalyptus tree fibers, responsibly sourced made of woll, sugarcane
- Ethics Certified B Corp, carbon-neutral, sustainable & responsible materials, gives back, recycled packaging, ethically made
- Size Range Women’s 5-11, men’s 8-14
- Cost Range $125-$145
Allbirds, an authorized B Corp, has revolutionized the shoe game. Its sustainable running footwear and athletic shoes are crafted using tree fibers and made of woll, sugarcane for midsole, and using castor oil for insoles. Better still, the company is fully carbon-neutral and ships its footwear in recycled packaging. We’re especially big on the Tree Runners, that are breezy, rigorously tested, and generously cushioned.
2. Hylo Sports
- Materials Corn fibers, natural rubbers, organic cotton, water-based glue, algae
- Ethics Sustainable & organic materials, recyclable, carbon-negative, ethically made
- Size Range United kingdom women’s 3-9, men’s 6-14
- Cost Range £100
Hylo Sports only carries one signature style-since these vegan running athletic shoes are so good. They’re created using corn fibers, natural rubber, algae, and organic cotton, and when you come back your footwear after use, Hylo will recycle them and share a £10 credit like a thanks. The company also provides free US and United kingdom delivery on all orders. Prepare to operate such as the wind.
- Materials Amazonian rubber, grain waste, sugarcane, recycled polyester
- Ethics Recycled & sustainable materials, ethically produced in South america, sustainable practices
- Size Range Women’s 36-40, men’s 41-47
- Cost Range €140-€160
VEJA’s running footwear have acquired recognition around the world, specially the VEJA Condors to be the very first publish-oil running footwear. Ethically made using recycled polyester, Ricinus oil, grain waste, sugarcane, and Amazonian rubber, these footwear are comfy and sturdy enough for everyday runners. The vibrant color choices are pretty enticing, too. ??
- Materials Recycled polyester, recycled fishnets, recycled rubber
- Ethics Climate-neutral, Bluesign-certified recycled & sustainable materials, gives back
- Size Range Women’s 5.5-10.5, men’s 7-13
- Cost Range $119.95-$179.95
Born in Norway, Icebug grew to become among the first climate-positive footwear brands on the planet by offsetting and reducing its emissions whenever possible. These running footwear are nearly entirely made from recycled materials, from fishnets to polyester to rubber. Take it easy though, your strides will not be compromised-extremely high-performing footwear are precision-engineered for each type of runner and terrain (yes, including ice).
5. Lane Eight
- Materials Recycled PET, algae, vegan suede
- Ethics Vegan, recycled & sustainable materials, gives back
- Size Range Women’s 5-11, men’s 7-13
- Cost Range $110
Lane Eight is on the mission to help make the world’s best running footwear, and it is getting close! They uses recycled polyester yarn from plastic containers, vegan microfibers, and algae-based foam because of its trainers-which really remove 64 cubic meters of carbon in the atmosphere. We especially love the attractive colors, responsive cushioning, and versatility to put on in the treadmill towards the trail. Stretchy, supportive, and sustainable.
- Materials Merino made of woll, FSC-certified eucalyptus tree fibers
- Ethics Responsibly sourced materials, low-waste, sustainable practices
- Size Range Women’s 5-11, men’s 7-15
- Cost Range $99.95-$159.95
Giesswein harnesses the strength of Merino made of woll because of its sustainable running footwear. Located in the EU, this family-run business responsibly sources made of woll due to its antibacterial, heat-resistant, and odor-free qualities. During production, simply no waste is produced and 90 % from the water is recycled. The special 3D stretch technology makes them runners incredibly lightweight and versatile. Free worldwide shipping as well!
- Materials Sustainably tanned leather, yarn, cork, recycled polyester
- Ethics Certified B Corp, ethically made, responsibly sourced leather & recycled materials, take-back program
- Size Range Women’s 5.5-11.5, men’s 7-15
- Cost Range $145
Barefoot shoes or boots are sustainable footwear, based on Vivobarefoot. That is why this type of minimalist running footwear is made to leverage your foot’s natural strength and movement (versus cushioned footwear for hard roads). This certified B Corp also prioritizes sustainable practices, includes natural and recycled materials, and it has a take-back program known as Revivo. Train hard, tread light.
- Materials Recycled polyester, biodegradable compounds in Avoi soles
- Ethics Sustainable & recycled materials, eco-friendly initiatives, take-back program, gives back
- Size Range Women’s 5-13, men’s 5-16
- Cost Range $85-$250
Brooks is a lengthy-time favorite within the running community. Now more than ever before, the company is centered on corporate responsibility too-having a concentrate on conscious sourcing, internet-zero carbon emissions by 2040, and transitioning to circular products. Whether you need to hit the street or even the gym, you’ll find the thing you need here. As Brooks states, “More ft, less footprint.”
- Materials Plastic
- Ethics Sustainable & recycled materials, vegan-friendly options
- Size Range Women’s 5-19, men’s 4-18
- Cost Range $60-$250
Adidas, among the world’s largest shoe brands, has dedicated to shifting to 100 % recycled polyester by 2024. A lot of its footwear are created already with sustainability in your mind-you are able to filter for Primegreen or Blue choices for partly recycled options or search for vegan running footwear.